The chief purpose of FMDH is to provide the best patient care possible at the lowest possible cost. The hospital today reflects a refinement of that goal as the staff strives to meet the needs and realities of the community. The high-tech hospital we all enjoy today had very humble beginnings.
was established in 1889 when three boxcars were placed in formation of the letter 'H.' In the late 1800s the new Great Northern Railroad was responsible for many accidents and sickness. In order to cope with the situations, the railroad, in 1889, supplied the first hospital in The first known hospital in the Glasgow area
In 1910, A.W. Mahon offered to donate an entire block of land for a hospital. Located in the southeast corner of
Name Changes to “Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital” - The name of the hospital was changed to Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital in 1914 when the Deaconess Hospital of Great Falls Montana finally offered to give the Glasgow hospital a three year lease. The lease offered assistance including equipment, financing, and caring for the new establishment. In the first four years, the hospital staff cared for over 1,400 cases. In 2003 our staff cared for over 25,000 people.
The community of Glasgow has always worked to be ahead of the times in medical and hospital facilities. One such example is during the period of 1934-35 when the 60 bed modern three story, brick structure was conceived and constructed. The need for the new hospital was recognized as a result of the 1935 Three Story Hospital -
A new $365,000, 35 bed wing for accommodating additional patients at Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital opened in August 1968. The hospital, now enlarged, was not only the finest but the first of its kind in northeast Montana. The hospital now offered 35 additional beds and also contained a new physical therapy department. This physical therapy department was the first of its kind in all of northeast 1968 35 Bed Wing added to Hospital -
1978 New Hospital Constructed - In 1978, Trustees dedicated a newly constructed hospital that included a surgery suite, emergency room, 24 more hospital beds and an office area. A huge community effort called “Operation Update” was organized. The community fund drive raised over 2 million dollars, far exceeding their expectations, to build the new hospital. A proud local community took pride in their modern, most up-t-date facility in the region. The 1935 three story building was remodeled to accommodate doctor’s offices and clinics. FMDH is thought of as a mini-medical center providing services only found in larger cities.
In 1988 a wing was added to Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital for the Chemical Dependency Center. The center was formerly located at the Glasgow Air Force Base. The Chemical Dependency Center was relocated to downtown 1988 Wing Added for CDC -
The Glasgow Clinic moved to the new clinic building in May 1998. The building eliminated the former separation if the Glasgow Clinic between the second and third floors of the Medical Arts Building (1935 building). The building has a spacious reception area, central nursing station, facility for outpatient surgery, and space for eight doctor’s offices. The new clinic building is part of the hospital’s mission to provide the best in family practice medicine to northeastern 1998 New Clinic Building is added -
2004 Brings New MRI & LDR Facilities and Remodeled Surgery Suites
MRI - Previously, FMDH had an agreement with a company to lease a portable MRI. This lease agreement was the hospital’s first exposure to MRI, and it allowed the experience of having MRI equipment available without having to purchase the equipment. The lease agreement ended and the hospital purchased their own equipment. The result is better customer service by the addition of a new MRI suite that houses equipment indoors with technology that has advanced a great deal.
Labor Delivery and Recovery-- Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital in Glasgow has delivered babies since their doors opened in 1911. Over the years they have seen many changes but none as accommodating to the mother as the most recent construction. A whole new area has been constructed for LDR (labor, delivery, recovery) and postpartum. This area is independent of other patient care areas at FMDH. The pregnant woman remains in the same room throughout the entire experience. All mothers get a private birthing room and the newly remodeled rooms have Jacuzzi tubs for use during labor. The new design promotes privacy for the mom and allows her support people to be present or very close for the delivery. After the baby has arrived, he/she stays primarily in the room with the mother.
With advancements in technology there have been many changes seen at